Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I love microphones!

I love microphones, but I'm on a budget. Fortunately, there are tons of great mics that are also inexpensive. For a long time I've been a fan of MXL and Audio Technica's inexpensive condensers, but I've recently turned to another inexpensive large-diaphraghm condenser, the NADY SCM-960.

First the negatives...the freakin' thing comes with no way to mount it to a mic stand. That's just wrong! Get it together, guys! That's it for the negatives.

The sound is fantastic...crisp, clear, but also warm and full on the bottom, with a proximity boost that warms things up, but never gets muddy. You MUST use a windscreen or pop filter, but other than that, it just sounds great...on my voice, anyway! Hear what this mic sounds like on my radio show "Saving the 70s" at http://www.theproductionroom.net/latestshow.ram

The SCM-960 is the ONLY mic I use for my show. As I tell my wife..."once you've found what you were looking for, QUIT LOOKING!"

I'd love to have a good ribbon mic, but have heard some discouraging things about inexpensive ribbons. Do you have any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment